Monday, April 20, 2009

What's in a blog


I have been pondering the last few weeks about what a blog is.

Web Log

We Blog

I get the feeling that it really comes down to this:

www whatdoIwanttoshowtheworldaboutmylife.com

Does anyone really want to know that stuff? Is it an advertisement for a product noone really wants to buy? Or is it a train wreck we are just really trying to avoid, but we can't? Is it too heavy sometimes, or not heavy enough? Is it for posterity? A journal for the future? Or simply a way to entertain myself and/or my wife? Is it real, or is it a front? Should it dig deep, should it have "meaning"? Or is superficial a better way to go. Can it be both?

What do I want my blog to be?

Does it need to be anything....

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I think a blog is primarily a way to connect with other people. If it was just to record our thoughts or keep a journal, we could do that privately. We want to put ourselves out on the line (to varying degress) and feel connected, interrelated, cared about. I think the content doesn't so much matter. It's the relationship that matters.

Jess said...

Yes. No. Maybe. Both. None of the above. All of the above. Is there a correct answer here?

JDM said...

My blog is what ever I feel like writing about. No apologies. I don't lay it all on the line since it is on the net. But it's pretty much all of the above that you mentioned. And ultimately written for me with the hope that if people read it they understand me a little better.