Friday, February 27, 2009

Wii HAVE A LOT TO LEARN

Tonight was the Ward Wii party.  

We don't have a Wii.

Turns out, we're the only people in the Ward without a Wii.

We are the only people in the whole city of Kaysville who don't have a Wii.

Even the folks at the rest home have a Wii.

Even the Bishop has a Wii.

Inmates in prison have a Wii.  The world is Wii-ly obsessed.

I am not saying all of this because I want a Wii.  Sure, it would be fun, but, eh...whatever.

This was our second annual Wii party, and though they are very fun, it's a little like this:  You show up to a basketball game.  Right before it starts a guy comes out and makes the motion like he is going to lead everyone in a song.  Everyone falls silent, the conductor raises his hand and on the same count, everyone in the whole arena starts singing the same song.  Turns out, it's a national anthem from a country you have never heard of.  Everyone in the arena knows the song but you, they now begin to look at you as though you should know the song.  You smile and mouth the endings of a few of the words to make it look like you are singing along.  Turns out they realize you don't know the song.  Then they realize you aren't even a citizen in this country.  When the song is over, they come after you, because you don't know the song.  They throw things at you, chase you from town, beg you never to come back.

There, that's what Wii night is like.

But it's not like I don't have video game street cred.  I could have put myself, my wife, and my kids through college if I had only SAVED the money I spent on arcade games, namely Karate Champ, Gauntlet, Defender, Battlezone, Star Wars, and the like.  But now I am old.  And the older I realize I am, the more I want to see if any of these young whipper snappers would like to play an ACTUAL GUITAR, instead of PRETENDING to be a hero.

I think I need to go to bed.  I am really not that set off by all this, I think this is what watching one episode of American Idol does to a person. 

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Why do we keep going back each year? Is it the potluck junk food table?

We probably need to stop attending . . . or at least don matching T's that say "Wii Stink" so people know not to challenge us to a match.

Jess said...

We don't own a Wii either....
Although, we do own an Xbox but do you think that me, or either of the girls get a chance to play it???? NO! Derick always has it occupied. (He is one of those that "pretends to be a hero"). Sorry We missed the party last night. We were planning on it but I was sick.... again. I am glad you had fun!

Jeni said...

Was it really that bad guys? So now I'm figuring that 'the kids need us at home' was just an excuse.

Anonymous said...

I, too, had no experience with the Wii... until last week. Tim and I played baseball and tennis with each other at a friend's house. I only got to play a few rounds. Barely long enough to get the idea of the controller-thingy. We stunk! -Becky

Shawn Telford said...

My grandpa uses a wii in physical rehab.