Sunday, March 01, 2009

Inspired by my wife

My better half just posted about music from the 80's, I love the fact that her first concert was Guns N Roses at the Salt Palace.  I love the fact that she made fun of the girl who listened to the Violent Femmes and Erasure.  Like those people were from another planet.

Well, here's my first concert:


I guess that means we wouldn't have been friends, or at least she would have roller her eyes at me when I drove by with HoJo blasting or better yet, Simple Minds.

I think we all need to confess our first concerts, get them out there.  I believe it makes a statement about our youth that has absolutely nothing to do with who we are today.  I remember having to get extra, extra special permission to go to the Thompson Twins/OMD concert, because it was on a SUNDAY!!!  GASP.  Of course, there is no way I would let my kids go to a concert on a Sunday now, but back then, I think it was before the whole list of things that you shouldn't do on a Sunday was widely distributed.  I remember the crowd going wild, OMD came out first and it was just the two of them and a keyboard.  Then the real show started, it was their "Here's to Future Days" tour.  I bought a picture book and a t-shirt, unfortunately they only had a Medium size left.  Well, those of you who know me realize I have been a "large" all my life.  So needless to say the desire to show off my concert tee diminished greatly the next day when I was walking through the halls of my middle school wearing a shirt that looked like it had been purchased for a small stuffed animal.

What's worse?  Yea, I had one of these strapped on my wrist:

So, not only would Jodi have not had anything to do with me growing up, she probably would have backed me over with a pick-up truck.  And you know what?  I probably deserved it.  Thank goodness for time and, more importantly, spending those formidable years hundreds of miles apart.

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Rock on babe.

Matt M said...

I don't think those hundred miles apart meant anything, because I bet you would have "Walked five hundred miles" just to see her. (I know you learned that one on the guitar when "Benny and Joon" came out.)

kara jayne said...

B-52's with Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers at what was then "Park West". (The Canyons)

What does that say about me

JDM said...

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians.
Jr. High.
I knew I was cool for going and still feel that way.
I am listening to her now.

Have I said to much?

JDM said...

Also for some reason it will always be Park West to me. We spent all of our summers going to Park West concerts. None of the other names will stick with me.

BRoss said...

Don't forget it was the Park West "Pepsi" Summer Concert Series......

meagan said...

My first concert was Pearl Jam. And I just have to comment that you remember an insane amount of detail about your first concert. LIVE IN THE NOW! Oh, and can I borrow that watch?

Mary Ann said...

Our kids tried to convince us that 'Journey' was really a decent group.....minidome,....Idaho.