Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Father Every Day


Happy Father's Day.  I had an incredibly wonderful day.  

Notes..
..Cards....Hamburgers on the grill.....trail mix.......a new DVD to watch with the kids.....a kiss from my bride.

I am perfectly content with my day.  I am spoiled.  My family is so good to me.  Thank you children.  Thank you sweetheart.

A funny thing happened to me today.  As I sat in church the most bizarre quote kept coming into my head.  A quote I heard many days ago, and it hit me.  And for some reason it came to me again today.  
Here it is.

"I'm hoping that he will float up, and when he does, I brought his favorite blanket, and I'm going to wrap him in it, and I'm going to hold him. I'm just going to hold him."

This quote is from a mother who's son had disappeared while trying to cross a canal here in Salt Lake.

I am so sorry.  I can't imagine why this popped into my head.  But the image will stay with me forever.

I tried to come to grips with the reasons that this might have come to me on today, of all days....What sheer agony this woman's sole was in and all she could do is long to hold her child.  It brought such raw emotions to me.  Being a parent, being a father, it creates this amazing love inside of you to be near your children, be near your family.  It brought a new sense of gratitude to my heart for the blessing of being able to hold my child, to have them sit on my lap, to have them whisper in my ear, to have them cry out in joyful pain as I tickle them.  What a blessing it is to be a father, to have that kind of love in my heart.  It helps me to understand my father more.  What an eternal love we all are blessed to have to create a life, nurture them, watch them grow, watch them triumph, watch them fail.  I am grateful to be a father, everyday.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

We are so lucky to be able to hold and love our little ones. You're such a great dad, Bo. I can tell that you love your role as a father. Just one of your many talents . . .

Anonymous said...

You are such a TERRIFIC Dad to your little band of craziness!!
But then I think you had a pretty great role model. Of course I'm a bit prejudice. It is "apparent that being a parent" is the job you love most.
Keep up the good work!! It does have the best perks.

Adam said...

Thanks for the share and interesting information. I think that Catchy Websites attract more readers because they instantly create a positive emotion with your webpage whether its humor or something else.